The winding road










(on board a Shivneri Volvo, from Pune to Bombay)


This morning,

As I sit on the bus,

The road leads me on

Through the undulating hills;

I have seen them lush green,

In the flush of monsoons,

But now they are grey,

With specks of green.

At times I think-

Are we like this;

From green to grey,

And back to green?

Ecstasy at times,

Weariness at others,

Taking their place at the driver’s seat?


The bus gives a jolt,

Then lurches forward,

There are people around me,

But it’s a lonely road.

Our worries are our inheritance,

But our journeys our own,

We live to love,

But die for living.


The distant houses

Come and go;

Home is a place

I have struggled to find.

Love is a metaphor,

Life is a maze,

Where is the harbour

That anchors the mind?


The bus enters

A dark tunnel-

Light at the end;

Is that how our lives

Must necessarily be?

Drudgery tolerated

To find delight,

Ages of melancholy

For a minute of ecstasy?


I know not the answer,

I only know I must trudge on,

No matter what,

How heavy the load,

So says the tarmac,

As I look out the window

At the lonesome, weary, winding road.


- Jan, 2012

Somewhere in the Western Ghats, from Pune to Bombay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

The Spirit-what is it actually

Sufism- the call of divine humanity