The rains are here....






Rains have begun in Kolkata. And with the rains, the mud and the mess have come on. Life becomes stuck in a mire of poodles,slush and traffic jams. The already messy Kolkata roads become messier and tougher to navigate. People hang on to the buses for their dear lives. Cyclists pedal hard to escape the torrent. Cycle rickshaws with a curious sort of plastic covering hood, make their way across the city.

One good thing, though. There is a respite from the intensely hot weather.

From the  window of my office, I can see the clouds lining the nearby multistoried buildings. Dark clouds over the horizon.

I used to like the rains when I was young, and we could run down the huge school grounds, soaking the water into our shoes. Now, practical concerns of car navigation, going to office and so forth have taken over, and I am not really too enamoured by the onset of the rains.

I have seen rains in a number of cities. Kolkata, Mangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi, Pune, Chennai. Hard to say which one I enjoyed and which one I didn't . But I do remember that the rains used to make Pune and its environs lush and green..one season to truly enjoy.

Back in Kolkata, the slush, mud and potholes make the rains slightly difficult to enjoy.  But then, rains, along with their thunderclouds, are a fact of life for us. So, we have to really grin and bear it. Enjoy while you can. Happy monsoons.....

Comments

  1. Yes...and no. Personally, I dont enjoy the rains in Kolkata becauseof the slush and practical problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

The Spirit-what is it actually

Sufism- the call of divine humanity