Patliputra chronicles

















Patliputra. The erstwhile capital of the Mauryan empire. Scene of many a battle. Historical city by the Ganges, and the bastion of the great mass leader. Sri Jayaprakasb Narayan.And now the capital of Mr. Nitish Kumar, chief minister of Bihar.

It is  7 pm when I land at Patna,at the Jayaprakash  Narayan airport. It is a fairly nondescript place,clearly having seen better times, built in an age when air travel was restricted to only a few. It is election day eve in Patna, and the natural question on everyone's mind is; " who will it be?"  The vitriolic Modi or the redoubtable Laloo- Nitish combine?"

Having had plans to meet a friend at the airport, I had contacted  Shubhanjan, an old classmate, who was passing through the city, and though its some time before we meet, it's a joyful reunion. I am meeting him after 13 years, and time flows cheerfully as we converse about the good times that we had spent.

Brief meeting over, I head outside the airport, and curiously observe cycle rickshaws inside the premises, something I am yet to see inside an airport in my travels across India. Oh Patna ! I am here for an audit of a hospital, supposedly one of the good centres for Orthopaedics in this part of the country. I am greeted outside the airport area by the marketing manager of the hospital, and after initial pleasantries, we settle into a conversation about the city and about the healthcare scenario.

I had observed from the air that many areas of the city looked quite well- managed, neat and orderly. However, I realise that we are actually passing through the posher  parts of the city, home to the political class. 

We reach the hotel  Clarks Inn. which is above the Big Bazaar in Patliputra Industrial Area. It’s comfortable, having the basics, and offers a good view of the city. After a much-needed shower,  I accompany my hosts to the local Sheraton, where we joined by the owner of the hospital, Dr. Ashish Singh,a pleasant person,,with whom I discover some common links courtesy my stint in Pune,and we set about chatting. Later,I retire to my room and settle down.

I wake up early next morning , and have a recce through the window of my room. Its a grey , dill winter morning, and all  I can see is a dilapidated factory complex behind the hotel. Later, on the way to the hospital, I have a chance to see the city. It is truly a city of contrasts,balancing newly built flyovers and wide roads with well- tended islands, with dilapidated houses and congested slum areas with dung cakes pasted on the walls.

The hospital is a pleasant surprise, a small but highly motivated institute , promoted by a famed Orthopaedic surgeon of the city, Dr,RN Singh. It provides basic Orthopaedic surgeries as well as highly specialized  procedures like Joint Replacement and Spinal Surgeries.  The passion of  its promoters is very  much evident , both Dr. Ashish and his father having spent several years abroad , and having implemented many of the best practices from there. The hospitality of the hosts is  especially touching.

Meanwhile , the Bihar elections are swinging from one end of the pendulum to another. From a result of 40- 20 ( Modi vs  Lalu/ Nitish ) in the morning, it has swung in exactly the  opposite direction now. Some people are apprehensive about the win of the  " Mahagathbandhan " , the horror stories of the past still fresh in their minds( indeed, Dr. Singh tells me some spine- chilling stories of abduction and murder of doctors) . The driver who brought me here on the morning, Ashokji, is of the opinion that Laloo Prasad will be more careful this time , now that he had to establish the career of his children in politics , and also after having stayed in the wilderness from state politics for the past many years.Many people are sceptical.

Hospital audit over , I am on the way back to the airport. By now , the results are in, and celebrations are on. Thankfully, I don't get caught in any public celebrations as I had anticipated.The flight takes off at  3:30 ,after a wait of one hour in the airport lounge, where I manage to locate a Cafe Coffee Day and gulp down some coffee.  The flight takes off on time, and at the end  of my short visit to the city, I am back on the way to Ranchi.Adieu, Patliputra.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

The Spirit-what is it actually

Sufism- the call of divine humanity