Farewell to my Punyanagari




I finally left Pune last week. What a journey it has been since the last two years, when I landed here in 2010 with my family, including my small kid, in tow. Coming from Delhi, Pune seemed like a peaceful, laidback and decent place. Since then, life has moved a full circle and this city has seen me mature to a more worldly-wise, hopefully accomplished individual.
What should I pick from my memories? Monsoon drives to Lavasa? Ganesh Chaturthi  festival? Long drives on the Bombay highway ? The Kala Ghoda festival in neighbouring Bombay? My beloved book club and our multifarious activities such as the wine-tasting festival, Shakespearean plays and trips to Panchgani? Full moon nights on the hills around Hinjewadi ? Climbing up the Sinhagad fort? The Karla & Bhaja caves?  Or the majestic hills around Pune and the memories associated with them which will remain in my mind forever?
On the professional front, I have memories of ABMH, AFMC, teaching at Sancheti, NABH audits, RBNQA & ISO audits, speaking at the Sancheti annual conference, the RBNQA ceremony at Mumbai . And the astonishing warmth of my professional colleagues.
Pune has been the complete surprise package I had never imagined it would be. By the time I arrived in 2010, I had been across so many cities that I was cynical and was determined that Pune was nothing special for me and did not merit much attention.  Falling in love with yet another city, only to leave it,  did not seem justified. I was completely surprised at what followed.
At no time of life, I have had so many close friends as I had in Pune. Friends from inside and outside the profession. We have had fantastic times  together. I have been incredibly lucky to meet people I can say I am happy and proud to be knowing – solid people who are dealing with the problems of life in their own ways, and succeeding. I can’t name them all, so wherever you are , folks, thanks for being such a wonderful part of my life.
On a more personal front, my daughter grew up in Pune. And she has seen a fair bit of the city with us.
I will miss the long lazy Sunday Book Club sessions at Aromas on FC Road. I will missing driving to Lavasa. Driving in the hills around Pune, looking at the distant hills. Dining at Up & Away with a dear friend. The Wine Festival at Koregaon Park. Koregaon Park itself, with its multiple eateries. Barbecue Nation at Sayaji. And the innumerable CafĂ© Coffee Day joints in Pune. The undulating hills surrounding  the city. Early morning flights from the tiny airport.
 I will miss being a Punekar. This  is the place where I found myself, where I lived, laughed and cried.
Viva Punyanagari! You have stolen my heart and kept it for keeps. Inshallah, I hope to keep coming back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

The Spirit-what is it actually

Sufism- the call of divine humanity