The Spirit-what is it actually













x



The spirit does not die. Simple statement of Hindu philosophy, the core of the Advaita tradition. As  said in the Bhagavad Gita, Samkhya Yoga “ Na hanyam, na hanyate ( the spirit does not kill or let kill).”Even while you kill your enemies, your kill their body (and their mind), but never the spirit or soul ( Atman).

Bhagwan Maharishi Ramana defines this spirit  as the “ I”,  that which is unique to us all, thus has to be perceived by us uniquely. He defines “ I” as the sole phenomenon that drives the world, the Shiva tattva that is present inside us all , and I wholeheartedly agree with him. The Bhagwan would know- it was this “I “phenomenon which helped him to battle cancer undaunted till his death in 1950 . It was the same spirit which allowed my late father to battle lung cancer undaunted till his end . It is the same spirit that allows all of us to face life’s multiple problems everyday.

Without “I”, there can be no “ We.” We start always from ourselves, by strengthening ourselves.Without “I”, there can be no “ We.” We start always from ourselves, by strengthening ourselves. You don’t have to meditate to find this; you can be it by simply being yourself.



What  does this spirit show up as , since as a society, we are used to external manifestations more than internal? I am not qualified enough for  a textbook definition of this,and don’t believe in one, but I define spirit as that indomitable part of our existence which drives us long after everything is gone, or when the odds are heavily against us ( fighting health , personal and financial problems at the same time, for example) . Winning or losing doesn’t matter, that’s again what the Bhagavad Gita says (Karmanya vadhikaraste maa phaleshu kadachana-  Work irrespective of  the results). But you don’t have to read the scriptures or be religious for this, you can find examples from daily life:

Ø  When a person fights with a painful illness against all odds, not knowing if he/she will see the sun of the next morning but fights anyway. I know several people who have.
Ø  When a parent fights for the rights of his/her children, indeed, FOR his/ her children. Again, I know several people who have done this, and are doing this, everyday. Even if they are not able to see their children and miss them from the core of their heart.
Ø  When a person fights death and illness in his/ her family stoically. I saw this first hand in my family last year, and I still see this in other families. I have friends who have suffered multiple ailments themselves and in the family, but battle on. I myself battle on, but that’s another story.
Ø  When a person reaches out without expectations, because generosity is a matter of spirit. I am grateful to people who have reached out to me, guided me. They have made me richer, not by money, but by their time and effort.
Ø  When a person carries out the daily grind without expecting too much in return. I am grateful to those who help in my existence by contributing their time and energy.

There are other examples. The list could go on. Shiva is actually the best example of all, the One God among all who performed the role of a householder and ascetic at the same time, all the while attending to the ills of the world. Who is equally present at Kailasha as at his household with  Parvati , Ganesha and  the others. 

William Ernest Henley, the English poet, wrote after his painful amputation in 1875, in his epic Invictus,” It matters not how straight the gait, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of the fate, I am the captain of my soul.”
This is actually from the King James Bible, which has, at Matthew 7:14,” Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” ( Ref: Wikipedia). Strait refers to  a narrow passage.
His passage was narrow indeed. He wrote this after unilateral amputation due to tuberculosis, while fighting to avoid amputation of the other limb.
And he talks about the Soul, which is the spirit or the Atman of Hinduism.
The epic “Atma Shatakam”, written by Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya, celebrates the Soul as that one element of existence that goes much beyond the body, mind and all layers of existence, that comes from  and goes back to the Lord (called Brahman in Hindu philosophy) . It is the same “I” that Bhagawan Ramana was talking of.

And this is a part of the Universal Religious Philosophy. As a learned Islamic Scholar Imam Jafar Sadiq wrote in his blog “Atma Shatkam – song of Self Realization” –“even the Holy Quran has similar relationship for bliss and return of the Soul to Allah. O soul that art at peace! Return unto thy Lord, in harmony to His Self of Bliss! Enter thou, then, among My devotees. Enter thou My Garden”! - The Eternal Invitation, the Quran ( source” https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/adi-shankara-atma-shatakam)
It doesn’t matter whether a person is Hindu or Christian or  Muslim or Sikh or Zoroastrian or any other. He / she has a soul, a spirit, and that’s what allows him/her to carry on despite all odds. And that’s what matters.

So whether it is Bhagwan Ramana, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, David Henley, Imam Jafar Sadiq or any other learned person, what they are referring to is the indomitable human spirit that achieves everything. Saint or common man, this spirit is everywhere. As in the collective consciousness of a nation which rises up against horrific crimes against women, as happened  very recently.

Honour your soul, nurture your soul by attending to yourself and battling on despite all problems in life. It is the one thing that will stay after everything is gone and you return to the dust.


Comments

  1. It was a wonderful read! Thanks so much for the tag... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful words Abhimanyu...keep enlightening us with your writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neha, I merely learn from all of you and pass it on :) Call me a mirror if you want to

      Delete
  3. This read made my day! Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

Rumi ruminations 1: Know only that which makes the unknown known

Life is NOT a race