Antics of a clockwork kid









My daughter is a clockwork kid. Which doesn't mean that she is very much into clocks, but simply that she is like those toys that go on playing, after being wound up, for hours on end.

Take her love for games, for example. She simply loves Timezone , the games arcade at South City Mall,  Calcutta. She goes wild with the basketball, freaks out on the table ice hockey ,and loves the toffee machine. There have been times when we have won enough toffees to last weeks together. And for her benefit, I try the darts and the hoopla, only to fail in getting any prizes. But I do it anyway, in order to keep her happy.

Timezone is a place I wouldn't have entered otherwise. Its noisy, crowded and often  claustrophobic . But I tag along with her, since she loves the place. And find myself enjoying it, if for nothing then for the reason that I enjoy her company, and it is a kind of daddy- daughter date which both of us have built up over the last few years. 

This time, she had three attempts at the basketball game, with a strike rate of above 60%. Quite admirable for  a five year old kid, I must say !! 

For her benefit, I tried out the darts and  hoopla, attempting to win a prize or two. I didn't manage to actually win any , but her glee was my consolation prize. 

Our favourite, of course, is the table ice hockey. We go at it like pros, each attempting to outsmart the other and score a point. It keeps us on the toes and engaged. I often concede a goal or two to keep her happy and make her win, to the extent that nowadays she expects me to concede goals. Smart kids, they learn very fast !!

I don't know how her interests will develop over the years. The moods and preferences of growing five year olds can change pretty fast. But I know that as long as she is happy to be a clockwork kid, I will be happy to accompany her. I am not a great fan of loud environments, but nevertheless cherish Timezone as a place which has provided us the outlet to chill out and forge a cheerful, happy daddy- daughter buddyship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

The Spirit-what is it actually

Sufism- the call of divine humanity