The bridge across time


(2008)

Light, shadows, breeze,

Turbulence in the trees

On the banks ;

I stand in the middle of

The bridge across time

On a lonely winter dusk.

Do I see a flicker of light

On the left bank?

It must have been

The lamp at dusk

Lit in front of the house

Where I lived so long ago.

Every dusk would see

The flight of the birds,

Returning home,

Flying over the vast field

Where we used to play;

Ages ago.

When time went slow,

And imagination flew

On the wings

Of the butterflies

I used to chase

All day long.

When life’s innocent song

Rang on our lips,

And the carefree joys

Of childhood

Filled our hearts

Night and day.

I look harder to my left;

I see her;

My nanny,

Guiding me through the dark

When we roamed the streets

On pleasant Sunday evenings.

I see the glow-flies

Filling up the air

And the bright stars

Lighting up the sky,

On those nights

When we used to wander.

I see myself

Perched on my father’s shoulders,

Returning from a show,

Late at night;

Secure, cocooned,

And fast asleep.

I stand on

The bridge across time

That stretches across the river

Of life;

Connecting yesterday

To today.

I look to the right bank

And I see

Mornings that bring sunlight

With wisps of grey;

Something amiss

Amidst the brightness.

Dusk heralded

By the screech of vehicles

On busy city streets.

Can someone tell me

In which direction

The birds have flown?

Bright lights, big city

And a soul,

Searching for the centre;

Searching for a piece

Of yesterday

Once again.

Further to the right

I see a grey, desolate stretch

That I know I must walk;

The Bard had said

“All the world’s a stage,

And all the men and women merely players”.

I stand still

On the bridge across time,

And dream of happiness

Once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lord Shiva- the first bipolar

The Spirit-what is it actually

Sufism- the call of divine humanity